Saturday, December 15, 2007

Media Mania


The media.

I have to admit that I don't intentionally seek out too many media sources in an average week, but at the same time, I have to acknowledge, that I am unsuspectingly exposed to more media than I care to be. I work out at the Uptown Y and find myself sometimes reading the ticker at the bottom of the CNN screen. I ride the bus and there are advertisements all over the place, from billboards to bumper stickers. The media source I seek out the most would be the radio and the internet. I live alone (with my two kitty-cats) and will turn on the radio for background noise. I listen to the Current (89.3) and MPR. I occasionally read St. Paul/Mpls magazine when I have an extra $4.50 and the same goes for the NY Times ($5!). I watch very little TV. I used to love the show "Lost" but who knows when that is coming back on the air. My internet is provide by Qwest. The world wide web is where I fall prey to whatever corporate domination decides to overtake my favorite (or just most frequent) websites - hotmail (a necessary evil), youtube, myspace (pathetic, I know), and that's about it. You are now getting a sense of how simple my life is. I have made a conscious choice to avoid corporate America as much as I can. I shop at the coop, try to buy independent clothing (or at least from environmentally responsible companies that don't exploit their workers), am into fair trade, etc. I recognize that the two words "control" and "corporate" are inextricably linked, never to be undone. Access and media content show obvious biases and reflect the values of whatever corporation is making the big bucks off of our addiction to entertainment. While I'm not exactly happy that Fox/News Corp/Google superpower dictates myspace or that my entertainment supports any corporate greed, I suppose there are necessary evils. It's nearly impossible to escape some tainting, unless I were a self-sustaining hermit living in the woods.

1 comment:

Genevieve said...

We're pretty similar, I think, in our politics. Whenever I have the option, I choose local eateries, stores, and bars over chains. When I have to shop for things around the house, I shop Target over Walmart. Did I tell you that last year, Target gave $15,000 to the school I'll be student teaching at? It's still a corporation, but at least it gives back to the community. Sometimes, though, you don't have the option. For example, being a socially conscious consumer can be really effing expensive. Organic food, for example, can cost three times as much as non-organic food. And I'm poor, dammit.