Thursday, October 4, 2007

Editing

I did the assignments out of order, like Baker did. You'd think a graduate student could decipher a simple syllabus. Oh well.

This is a trailer for the unbelievably powerful documentary "Angels in the Dust." I wish I could see it, but it's not coming anywhere close to us.

I'll go to this place someday. I swear it.


Considering that this is a movie trailer, the entire thing is an editing masterpiece. If you can watch it without crying, you're a stronger person than I am. The trailer begins with an African hymn. This is an editing technique that helps convey the emotional content. Then we see a herd of elephants and a woman begins narrating the story. B-roll footage was used for cutaways that give insight into what the woman is talking about. We here the sound effect of a gun shot as an elephant is killed from an aerial rifle. She tells a story of baby elephants and then there is a "fade transition" into video of African children.


The editors then used Titles throughout as additional commentary and information. These are positioned to provide an extra emotional boost to an already powerful video. Actual interviews with the people who gave up everything to start this school and orphanage are shown. More b-roll footage, along with music, and audio from the interview are all wrapped into one as they share their amazing vision with the audience. Quick cuts of the documentary show narrative development without giving away the the entire documentary. All of this remarkable editing helps convey meaning and the themes of community and survival. As the title page rolls at the end with the name of film "angels in the dust," as a final hurrah, the audience is left with sounds: children singing and playing hand-clapping games...

Oh, my heart!

2 comments:

Genevieve said...

Wow! This reminded me of my younger cousin, Claire, who moved to Zambia to work for the Ubumi Childrens Project. Ubumi Africa is a community-based organization in Kitwe. The project's sole purpose is to provide care and support for children who have been orphaned as a result of HIV/AIDS. The project encourages and enlists "the participation of community caregivers (widows/widowers) who have lost their husbands/wives mainly due to HIV/AIDS."

You should check out their mission statement, yo.
Ubumi Childrens Project Mission Statement

Genevieve said...

I almost forgot: very thorough editing analysis. I would have had a tough time with this one. I often find it difficult to analyze texts that affect me emotionally; I get so caught up in watching that I don't take the distance required to analyze.