Friday, November 30, 2007

Let's Get Real!


After Rachel's presentation regarding the three movie versions of "Hamlet," I am further convinced of the value of modern film in the classroom. The stark contrast between the three created a perfect opportunity for me to make personal judgements about each of them. In my own teaching philosophy, I always come back to some of the same themes - perspective, imagination, mindfulness, communication, critical thinking - the list goes on. In an urban environment, I see a great need to get the students to "buy in" to whatever you've got on the curriculum for that particular day or year. For example, Shakespeare on its own is overwhelming and often misunderstood. The language is difficult even for the best readers. Imagine what an endeavor it must be for a stereotypical inner-city student who is already a struggling reader! I do believe that the text must be read as it is - in Shakespearean language. However, "No Fear Shakespeare" which presents both the original text as well as a modern English translation would be a great supplement. THEN follow that up with a contemporary version of the text like Baz Luhrmann's "Romeo + Juliet" or Michael Almereyda's "Hamlet" and you've got them hooked. Perhaps Shakespeare isn't so much of a chore if it's presented in this way. Older film adaptations that maintain literary and dramatic elements closely imitating the traditional text do not give the students much food for thought. They don't facilitate further understanding of the language of the time, nor do they foster much critical thinking. Instead, they simply give a visual representation of a difficult text. I'd much rather take students to the live theater than subject them to this kind of adaptation.

Contemporary film is amazing in its ability to surprise its audience and step outside the box. This type of film allows students to make personal connections as well as think critically about their interpretation of the text. Shakespeare is timeless and the conflicts/topics can often be twisted to reflect modern societal/familial/personal issues. I love that they continue to make movies that push the envelope. I respect and admire those who aren't afraid to take risks. Now, if only I could get students to take the leap of faith with me and trust that reading can be an adventure!

2 comments:

sodapop said...

Angela, I agree completely! Now what am I going to write *my* blog on video about :-(

Genevieve said...

I concur, and I said much the same thing in my own blog, which you probably already know.

I've always wondered about "O," a contemporary movie based (loosely, I think) on Othello. It stars Julia Stiles, Josh Hartnet, and Mekhi Phifer. Might be useful in the urban classroom. Unless it's crap, and then maybe not.